The evolution of Chinese anti-poverty work over the past 40 years: an quantitative analysis based on China’s anti-poverty policies (1979–2018)
【Abstract】The sustainable and healthy operation and development of anti-poverty work depend on effective institutional arrangements in economy and society. This article conducts reviews on the evolution of China’s anti-poverty policies since 1979 based on an analysis of 289 anti-poverty policies issued by the central government and relevant ministries over the past 40 years. This analysis is quantitative, based on a statistical analysis of the number and structural distribution of policies and policy instruments, types and institutions, as well as periodic goals and content. Through these analyses, the study reveals the relationship between anti-poverty development and institutional arrangements. The following conclusions can be drawn. First of all, the number and structure of anti-poverty policies in different stages are determined by the poverty characteristics in different periods. Secondly, the anti-poverty policy goals and measures in all stages are always consistent with the national strategic objectives. Thirdly, the evolution of anti-poverty policies deeply embodies the formation process of anti-poverty ideological system with Chinese characteristics. Fourthly, participation and implementation departments in the development of policies are increasing so that the policy synergies can be enhanced. Fifthly, the evolution of anti-poverty policies always reflects the basic motive force of economic and social development. To summarize, over the past 40 years, changes in institutional arrangements have provided a strong impetus to Chinese anti-poverty development. In the future, the formulation of anti-poverty development policies needs to keep pace with the times and continue to innovate. At the national strategic level, the Chinese government should gradually improve the institution and mechanism of anti-poverty policies based on the poverty characteristics at this stage. After 2020, poverty reduction must be continued so that the ultimate goal of common prosperity could be achieved.
【Keywords】 anti-poverty policy; evolution; forty years; quantitative research;
(Translated by Lin Jing)
. This paper has won the Outstanding Paper Award of the Post-Doctoral Forum for Poverty Alleviation in China and the Outstanding Paper Award of the 40th Anniversary of China’s Poverty Alleviation Reform of the State Council Leading Group Office of Poverty Alleviation and Development. [^Back]
. ① The software was designed and coded by Shen Yang, a teacher from School of Information Management, Wuhan University in 2015. [^Back]
1. Bai, M. Chinese Rural Economy (中国农村经济), (4) (2018).
2. Cai, K. Journal of Chinese Academy of Governance (国家行政学院学报), (2) (2013).
3. Cai, S. & Wei, Y. Journal of Guizhou University of Finance and Economics (贵州财经大学学报), (4) (2018).
4. Zeng, X. & Wang, S. Journal of Northwest Normal University(Social Sciences) (西北师大学报(社会科学版)), (6) (2017).
5. He, C., Yang, S. & Zhao, X. Journal of Sichuan University (Philosophy and Social Science Edition) (四川大学学报(哲学社会科学版)), (3) (1992).
6. Hu, H., Si, Y. & Wang, L. Chinese Rural Economy (中国农村经济), (1) (2018).
7. Li, Z. & Zuo, T. Issues in Agricultural Economy (农业经济问题), (10) (2018).
8. Tan, X. & Li, J. Chinese Rural Economy (中国农村经济), (9) (2017).
9. Wang, S. Management World (管理世界), (11) (2008).
10. Wang, S. & Zeng, X. Issues in Agricultural Economy (农业经济问题), (8) (2018).
11. Wang, S., Yin, H. & Wang, Y. Journal of South China Normal University(Social Science Edition) (华南师范大学学报(社会科学版)), (4) (2018).
12. Wang, C. Journal of China Agricultural University (Social Sciences) (中国农业大学学报(社会科学版)), (5) (2017).
13. Wang, J. Qinghai Social Sciences (青海社会科学), (5) (2018).
14. Wang, Z. & Han, J. China Soft Science (中国软科学), (12) (2017).
15. Wang, Z. & Wang, J. Journal of Yunnan Minzu University (Social Sciences) (云南民族大学学报(哲学社会科学版)), (5) (2018).
16. Ye, X. Review of Economic Research (经济研究参考), (1) (1996).
17. You, L., Liu, J. & Huo, X. China Rural Survey (中国农村观察), (5) (2018).
18. Zeng, Q. Agricultural Economy (农业经济), (1) (2012).
19. Zuo, T., Zhao, M. & Jin, J. Journal of Huazhong Agricultural University(Social Sciences Edition) (华中农业大学学报(社会科学版)), (1) (2018).