Responsibility and interests: study on evolution of intergovernmental cooperation relationship of China’s science and technology innovation policy based on quantitative analysis of policy documents
(2.School of Public Affairs, Zhejiang University, Zhejiang, China)
【Abstract】Deepening administrative reform has made inter⁃governmental relationship become the concern focuses of the theory and practice circle. With the complexity of the science and technology activities and the deepening of administrative reform, the cross-sectoral cooperation in the field of science and technology innovation policies is becoming increasingly frequent and complex, horizontal coordination between the national science and technology administrative department in charge and other central administrative departments have been further enhanced. In this study, 1298 science and technology policy literature jointly drafed by the Chinese central government departments from 1978 to 2013 are selected as data, six large-scale institutional reform of the State Council since 1978 are selected as the time node, the cooperation between the government concerning science and technology policy are studied phasely, government departments’cooperation network diagrams are mapped out in the different stages, Overall network feature, local network feature, single-node subnet feature of cooperation between government departments in different stages are analyzed quantitatively. (1) China science and technology policy intergovernmental cooperation relationship exhibits characteristics with trends from lees to more in number, from small to large in terms of range and from simple to complex in terms of complexity; (2) Few administrative departments form a core partnership, Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Finance, National Development and Reform Commission, in the development of science and technology policy, gradually forme a “iron triangle” relationship; (3) science and technology authorities and industry competent departments are increasingly close with each other, which reflects that research policies on industry, university, and research are continually combined.Finally, based on responsibility and benefits dimensions, the classification of intergovernmental cooperation were discussed, pointing out that to promote change from cooporation among government departments to other type of collaborative intergovernmental cooperation relationship is the only way to promote the modernization of national governance system and governance capacity in the central government level.
【Keywords】 intergovernmental relationship; policy literature network; analysis of quantitative research;
(Translated by ZHU Hanxiong)
(1) Cai, L. The Journal of Humanities (人文杂志), (6)(1999).
(2) Chen, T. Academic Research (学术研究), (2)(2008).
(3) Chen, Z. Public Management (公共管理学), Beijing: China Renmin University Press, 2005.
(4) Chen, X., Xu, S. & Fan, J. Empirical Methods in Organization and Management Reserach (组织与管理研究的实证方法), Beijing: Beijing university press, 2012.
(5) Gao, X. & Zhu, M. Journal of Tianshui College of Administration(天水行政学院学报), (4) (2010).
(6) Gao, X. Theoretical Horizon (理论视野), (3)(2014).
(7) Huang, C., Ren, T. & Zhang, J. Journal of Public Management (公共管理学报), (2) (2015).
8) Jiang, Y. Literary Circles of Cpc History (党史文苑) , (4) (2003).
(9)Lai, J. Chinese Public Administration (中国行政管理), (8) (2011). .
(10) Li, J. & Liu, X. Research on Huxiang Public Management (湖湘公共管理研究), (2011).
(11) Li, Z. Democracy & Science (民主与科学), (5) (2009).
12) Lin, S. The Relationship between Domestic Governments (国内政府间关系), Zhejiang: Zhejiang People’s Publishing House, (1998).
(13) Liu, J., Zhang, Y. & Liang, M. China Population, Resources and Environment (中国人口资源与环境), (24) (2014).
(14) Pan, T. Social science in Yunnan (云南社会科学), (5) (2012).
(15) Ren, Y. Journal of public management (公共管理学报), (3) (2005).
(16)Shu, S. Teaching and Research (教学与研究), (3) (2008).
(17) Su, J., Huang, C. & Xiao, Y. Catalogue Guide to the Science and Technology Policy of China (1949–2010) (中国科技政策要目概览 (1949–2010)), Beijing: Science and Technology Literature Press, (2012).
(18) Su, J. Public Policy for Science and Technology: an intruduction (公共科技政策导论), Beijing: Science Press, (2014).
(19) Wang, J. Chinese Public Administration (中国行政管理), (5) (2002).
(20)Xiao, J & Yin, F. Shandong Social Sciences (山东社会科学), (4) (1999).
(21)Xie, Q. Philosophy and Social Sciences (北京大学学报(哲学社会科学版)), (1) (2000).
(22)Yang H. The multicenter trend of inter-government cooperation:international academic seminar on “the Chinese government management and political development” (2003).
(23) Zhao, Y. Sun, T. & Jiang, D. The intergovernment relationship (府际关系), Taiwan: Yuanzhao Press, (2001).
(24) Zhou, W. Nanjing Journal of Social Sciences (南京社会科学), (2) (2010).
(25) Zhu, S. Studies of Hundered Years’Changes of China’s Agricultural Science and Technology System (中国农业科技体制百年变迁研究). Nanjing: Nanjing Agricultural University Press, (2012).
(26) Zhu, Y. Public Administration & Law (行政与法), (10) (2011).
(27)Anderson T.J.， 1965，“Pressure Groups and Inter Governmen Talrelations”，The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science，359(1)，pp.116–126.
(28)Allison G.T.，Zelikow P.， 1999，Essence of decision:Explaining the Cuban missile crisis，New York: Longman.
(29)Brown R.C.， 1935，“State Taxation of Interstate Commerce and Federal and State Taxationin Intergovernmental Relations:1932–935”，Geo.L.J.，vol. 24，pp.584.
(30)Christensen T.，Lægreid P.， 2007，“The whole of Government Approach to Public Sectorreform”，Public Administration Review，67(6)，pp.1059–1066.
(31)Dahl R.A.， 1947，“The Science of Public Administration:Three problems”，Public Administration Review，7(1)，pp.1–11.
(32)Denhardt R.，Catlaw T.， 2014，Theories of Public Organization，Cengage Learning.
(33)Horkheimer M.， 1974，Eclipse of Reason，Bloomsbury Publishing.
(34)Huang C.，Su J.，Xie X.et al.， 2014，“Basic Research is Over Shadowed yy Appliedresearch in China: Apolicy Perspective”，Scientometrics，99(3)，pp.689–694.
(35)King G.，Keohane R.O.，Verba S.， 1994，Designing Social Inquiry:Scientific Inference in Qualitative Research，Princeton University Press.
(36)Powell W.W.，Di Maggio P.J.， 1991，“The Newinstitution Alismin Organization Alanalysis”，Chicago，IL:UniversityofChicago Press.
(37)Weber M.， 1970，“Bureaucracy”，From Max Weber:Essays in Sociology，pp.196–244.