“Intelligence introduction” learning promotes enterprise upgrading in the catching-up process: a longitudinal case study on Pearl River Piano
【Abstract】That local enterprises acquire external knowledge to make up for their own deficiency has become an important route in upgrading the enterprises in the catching-up process. With in-depth study on acquiring external knowledge, some scholars began to pay attention to “intelligence introduction” learning. Based upon embedded case studies on Pearl River Piano Group, our results indicate that “Intelligence introduction” learning has undergone a dynamic evolution process, from the problem-oriented approach to the project-oriented approach, and finally to the internalization-oriented approach. Moreover, organizational routines play an important role in promoting enterprise upgrading through “intelligence introduction” learning. Besides, the external environmental pressure and internal absorption ability exert important influences in the choice of “intelligence introduction” learning. Finally, we find that the generation and transformation of organizational routines enhances technical capabilities and expands market space of enterprises, which would further impact the environmental pressure and absorption ability of enterprises and guide them to enter a new phase of “intelligence introduction” learning and enterprise upgrading.
【Keywords】 latecomer catch-up; “intelligence introduction” learning ; organizational routines; enterprise upgrading;
(1)Adler, P. S., 2001, “Market, Hierarchy and Trust: The Knowledge Economy and the Future of Capitalism”, Organization Science, Vol.12, pp.215–234.
(2) Argote, L. & Miron-Spektor, E., 2011 “Organizational Learning: From Experience to Knowledge”, Organization Science, Vol. 22, pp.1123–1137.
(3) Baum, J. A. C., Xiao, L. S. & Usher, J. M., 2000, “Making the Next Move: How Experiential and Vicarious Learning Shape the Locations of Chains’ Acquisitions”, Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 45, pp.766–801.
(4) Bingham, C. B. & Davis, J. P., 2012 “Learning Sequences: Their Existence, Effect and Evolution”, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 55, pp.611–641.
(5) Bresman, H., 2013, “Changing Routines: A Process Model of Vicarious Group Learning in Pharmaceutical R&D,” Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 56, pp.35–61.
(6) Cacciatori, E., 2012, “Resolving Conflict in Problem-Solving: Systems of Artifacts in the Development of New Routines”, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 49, pp.1559–1585.
(7) Cartel, P. & Friedberg, E., 2010, “Institutional Change as an Interactive Process: The Case of the Modernization of the French Cancer Centers,” Organization Science, Vol. 21, pp.311–330.
(8) Chassang, 2010, “Building Routines: Learning, (Cooperation and the Dynamics of Incomplete Relational Contracts”, The Arnericcarz Ecorzornic Review, Vol. 100, pp.448–465.
(9) Cohen, W. M. & Levinthal, D. A., 1990 “Absorptive Capacity: A New Perspective on Learning and Innovation”, Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 35, pp.512–521.
(10) Cohendet, P. & Llerena, P., 2008, “The Role of Teams and Communities in the Emergence of Organizational routines,” Handbook of Organizational routines, Elgar press
(11) Crossan, M. M. & Apaydin, M., 2009, “A Multi-Dimensional Framework of Organizational Innovation: a Systematic Review of the Literature”, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 47, pp.1154–1191.
(12) Eisenhardt, K. M., 1989, “Making Fast Strategic Decisions in High-Velocity Environments”, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 21, pp.543–576.
(13) Eisenhardt, K. M. & Graebner, M. E., 2007 “Theory Building from Cases: Opportunities and Challenges”, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 50, pp.25–32.
(14) Eggers, J. & Kaplan, S., 2013, “Cognition and Capabilities: A Multi-Level Perspective”, The Academy of Management Annals, no ahead-of-print, pp1–46.
(15) Feldman, M. S., Brian, T. & Pentland, 2003, “Reconceptualizing Organizational routines as a Source of Flexibility and Change”, Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 48, pp.94–118.
(16) Fu, X. & Gong, Y., 2011, “Indigenous and Foreign Innovation Efforts and Drivers of Technological Upgrading: Evidence from China”, World Development, Vol. 39, pp.1213–1225.
(17) Fu, X., Pietrobelli, C. & Soete, L., 2011, “The Role of Foreign Technology and Indigenous Innovation in the Emerging Economies: Technological Change and Catching-Up”, World Development, Vol. 39, pp.1204–1212.
(18) Glaser, B. G. & Strauss, A. L., 2009, The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research, Transaction Press.
(19) Guo, B., Gao, J. & Chen, X., 2013, “Technology Strategy, Technological Context and Technological Catch-Up in Emerging Economies: Industry-Level Findings from Chinese Manufacturing”, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, Vol. 25, pp.219–234.
(20) Haunschild, P. R. & Miner, A. S., 1997, “Modes of Interorganizational Imitation: The Effects of Outcome Salience and Uncertainty”, Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 42, pp.472–500.
(21) Laamanen, T. & Wallin, J., 2009, “Cognitive Dynamics of Capability Development Paths”, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 46, pp.950–981.
(22) Lee, T. W., 1999, Using Qualitative Methods in Organizational Research, Sage press.
(23) Lewin, A. Y. & Volberda, H. W., 1999 “Prolegomena on Coevolution: A Framework for Research on Strategy and New Organizational Forms”, Organization Science, Vol. 10, pp.519–534.
(24) Lu, L., Leung, K. & Koch, P. T., 2006, “Managerial Knowledge Sharing: The Role of Individual, Interpersonal, and Organizational Factors”, Management and Organization Review, Vol. 2, pp.15–41.
(25) Mason, G., Beltramo J. & Paul, J., 2004, “External Knowledge Sourcing in Different National Settings: A Comparison of Electronics Establishments in Britain and France,” Research Policy, Vol. 33, pp.53–72.
(26) Mike, W. Peng, 2006, Global Strategy, South-Western Thomson Press.
(27) Parmigiani, A. & Howard-Grenville, J., 2011, “Routines Revisited: Exploring the Capabilities and Practice Perspectives”, The Academy of Management Annals, Vol. 5, pp.413–453.
(28) Rerup & Feldman, 2011, “Routines as a Source of Chance in Organizational Schemata: The Role of Trial-and-Error Learning”, The Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 54, pp.5
(29) Saliola，F. & Zanfei，A., 2009, “Multinational Firms, Global Value Chains and the Organization of Knowledge Transfer”, Research Policy, Vol. 38, pp.369–381.
(30) Schwab, A., 2007 “Incremental Organizational Learning from Multilevel Information Sources: Evidence for Cross-Level Interactions”, Organization Science, Vol. 18, pp.233–251.
(31) Salvato, C. & Rerup, C., 2011 “Beyond Collective Entities: Multilevel Research on Organizational routines and Capabilities”, Journal of Management, Vol. 37, pp.468–490.
(32) Thomas, D. & Laurence, P., 1998, Working Knowledge: How Organizations Manage What they Know, Harvard Business School Press.
(33) Xu, B., 2000, “Multinational Enterprises, Technology Diffusion, and Host Country Productivity Growth”, Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 62, pp.477–493.
(34) Yan, A. & Gray, B., 1994 “Bargaining Power, Management Control and Performance in United States - China Joint Ventures: A Comparative Case Study”, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 37, pp.1478–1517.
(35) Yeoh, P., 2009 “Realized and Potential Absorptive Capacity: Understanding their Antecedents and Performance in the Sourcing Context”, The Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol. 17 pp.21–36.
(36) Zahra, S. A. & George, G., 2002, “Absorptive Capacity: A Review, Reconceptualization and Extension”, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 27, pp.185–203.
(37) Zollo, M. & Winter, S. G., 2002 “Deliberate Learning and the Evolution of Dynamic Capabilities”, Organization Science, Vol. 13, pp.339–351.
(38) Zucker, L. G., 1986, “Production of Trust: Institutional Sources of Economic Structure, 1840–1920”, Research in Organizational Behavior, MIT press.
(39) Chen, X. Qualitative Research in Social Sciences (质的研究方法与社会科学研究).Beijing: Educational Science Publishing House, (2000).
(40) Chen, X. doctoral thesis, Zhejiang University, (2013).
(41) Guo, X., Wen, L. & Zhang, Z. Journal of Hefei University of Technology (Social Sciences) (合肥工业大学学报 (社会科学版)), (S1) (1999).
(42) Huang, M. & Lan, H. Science and Technology Management Research (科技管理研究), (10) (2005).
(43) Jiang, S., Gong, L. & Wei, J. Management World (管理世界), (4) (2011).
(44) Jiang, S., Gong, L. & Wei, J. Management World (管理世界), (12) (2011).
(45) Charmaz, K., Bian, G. & Chen, X. Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide through Qualitative Research (建构扎根理论: 质性研究实践指南). Chongqing: Chongqing University Press, (2009).
(46) Li, H. & Zhang, S. Journal of Intelligence(情报杂志), (3) (2008).
(47) Li, W. master’s thesis, Zhongshan University, (2014).
(48) Liu, Y., Wei, J. & Jiang, S. Management World (管理世界), (3) (2013).
(49) Lu, F. & Chen, X. 2012, Economic Management (经济管理), (4) (2012).
(50) Yin, R. K. Case Study Research: Design and Methods (3rd Edition) (案例研究:设计与方法(第3版)). Chongqing: Chongqing University Press, (2004).
(51) Yin, R. K. Applications of Case Study Research (案例研究方法的应用). Chongqing: Chongqing University Press, (2009).
(52) Luo, S. Chinese Journal of Management (管理学报), (9) (2014).
(53) Luo, S. & Yu, Y. Management World (管理世界), (11) (2012).
(54) Mao, Y., Jiang, Y. & Mo, W. Management World (管理世界), (6) (2009).
(55) Mao, Y., Luo, S. & Xiong, L. Academic Research (学术研究), (9) (2013).
(56) Mao, Y. & Wen, S. Academic Research (学术研究), (5) (2012).
(57) Mao, Y. & Wang, J., 广东企业50强: 成长与重组. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, (2006).
(58) Wang, J., Mao, Y. & Qiu, N. Management World (管理世界), (6) (2008).
(59) Wang, G. & Li, Q. Wuhan University Journal (Philosophy & Social Sciences) (武汉大学学报(哲学社会科学版)), (6) (2006).
(60) Wang, Y., Ma, J., Wu, X. et al. Management World (管理世界), (9) (2012).
(61) Wei, J., Ying, Y. & Liu, Y. Management World (管理世界), (2) (2014).
(62) Wu, X., Ma, R. & Mao, Q. Management World (管理世界), (2) (2009).
(63) Wu, X., Zhu, P. & Wu, D. Studies in Science of Science (科学学研究), (11) (2013).
(64) Xin, R. et al. Corporate Culture of State-owned Enterprises: An Inductive Analysis of Dimensions and Influences (国有企业的企业文化: 对其维度和影响的归纳性分析), The Management of Enterprises in the P.R.C. (中国企业管理的前沿研究). Beijing: Peking University Press, (2004).
(65) Xu, Q., Wu, Z. & Chen, L. Management World (管理世界), (4) (2013).
(66) Yun, J. & Liu, L. Management World (管理世界), (12) (2006)
(67) Takeuchi, H. & Nonaka, I. 知识创造的螺旋. Beijing: Intellectual Property Publishing House, (2006).
(68) Zhu, G., & Li, R. Science & Technology Progress and Policy (科学进步与对策), (5) (2008).